Since its invention in the late 1800s, diesel engines have been a critical piece of machinery used by many industries worldwide. Diesel engines are an integral part of vehicle innovation around the globe, from labor-intensive industries like agriculture and manufacturing to the transport industry.
Diesel engines last longer than gasoline engines, good news for truck owners and drivers who need to save fuel. Many vehicles equipped with diesel power performance are built for heavy-duty work, and it is vital to maintain the engine’s shape and condition to maximize power output. The piston rings are anessential part of a diesel engine and must be monitored closely by drivers.
What is a piston ring?
Multiple piston rings are required to maintain a diesel engine’s running. The compression ring seals the combustion chamber entirely and keeps it airtight. Another function of the piston rings is to control the oil flow through the cylinder walls.
Common causes of failures in piston rings
Drivers and truck owners alike should be aware of the piston rings in their engines. These parts are easily damaged, especially over time. These are the most common reasons for piston rings failing that you should be aware of:
- Inaccurate Assembly – incorrectly assembled piston rings or insufficient compression. This sign is easily seen by a broken or bent ringside.
- Damage in Oil Control Ring – some piston rings can become damaged after exposure to excessive oil.
- Contamination – poor oil quality and contaminated fuel can also cause shorter piston rings lifespans than expected.
Symptoms of a failing piston ring
It is not enough to know the causes of piston rings failure. To take better care of their vehicles, truck and vehicle owners and drivers need to be aware of the apparent signs of piston rings loss.
- Unusual High Oil Consumption – the standard time to add oil to trucks is 3,000 and 5,000 miles. If you feel that your engine is adding oil more often than usual, the piston rings could be a problem.
- Extreme Exhaust Smoke is not typical for diesel trucks to emit thick exhaust smoke. Problems in the piston rings system could be the cause.
- Slow Truck Performance – if your truck is losing power, you should inspect your piston rings. This will prevent your truck from accelerating and could lead to poor performance.
These piston rings must be maintained and looked after, essential to the diesel engine’s operation. Trucks that fail to operate these rings will most likely lose their power and cannot perform heavy-duty tasks.
<a href=’https://puredieselpower.com/blog/piston-ring-failures-cause-symptoms’><img class=”aligncenter” src=’https://puredieselpower.com/image/catalog/Blog%20Images/Common%20Causes%20and%20Symptoms%20of%20Piston%20Ring%20Failures-01.png’ alt=’Common-Causes-and-Symptoms-of-Piston-Ring-Failures-Diesel-Parts-Performance-Upgrades’ 540px border=’0′ /></a>